What does the Board do?
The Board of Directors provides support and advice, and broad direction to the rest of the organization. It is the board’s responsibility to ensure that the co-op fulfills its mission statement by setting the overall policies and objectives for the co-op, communicating with member-owners, and overseeing the General Manager.
The board offers guidance to subcommittees and holds the general vision of the co-op. The board executes strategic planning meetings, approves budgets, and communicates with the member-owners. Eventually, the board will also provide oversight and feedback for the General Manager.
Board members are elected by both the member-owners and the standing board using a majority vote as outlined in our bylaws. Elections are held once per year for vacant seats after the close of the previous fiscal year.
Board Candidates are member-owners in good standing with the Kitsap Community Food Co-op and not paid employees of the store. All board members have participated in an orientation process which includes attending at least one full board meeting, reading On Conflict and Consensus by CT Butler, and attending an orientation meeting.
The first term for new board members is three years. Board members may choose a subsequent term of one, two, or three years when they run for re-election. Board members should be able to commit 5+ hours per week on co-op related work. This may fluctuate as we get busy/slow through the year, or if also involved with other committees, and as we execute public events.
- Attend and participate in board meetings; these occur the second Monday of every month, 5:30-8:30pm at the co-op office in Bremerton.
- Facilitate board meetings on a rotating basis which will include a separate planning meeting the week prior with the Agenda & Schedule Coordinator. You may always choose to co-facilitate.
- Present an education item at a board meeting at least once per year.
- Attend board trainings and retreats.
- Participate in most public events and volunteer at the Fall Fair in some capacity
- Read On Conflict and Consensus by CT Butler.
- Must have access to the web and email.
Members of the board are not currently compensated.
Helpful Traits for Board Members
- Good Communicator
Board Application Process
- Read all the information on this page. Complete the online Board Candidate Application below. You may also download the KCFC Board Election Packet and return completed form either by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mail to (postmarked by August 16, 2016):
Kitsap Community Food Co-op
851 6th Street, Suite 140
Bremerton, WA 98337
- Ian Logan, Board clerk, will contact you to confirm receipt of your packet.
- We will ask you to submit a photo and information for a candidate statement (see guidelines below), which will be distributed to the membership at large and on our website.
- Candidates will all attend a special ‘Meet the Candidates’ event on Sunday August 21st at the Co-op office, during which all member-owners are invited to attend to hear the candidate speak about him/herself and ask questions.
- The deadline for ballots is August 30, 2016.
- At the Annual Meeting of Members (in September, date TBA), the newly elected board members will be announced. At the next regular board meeting, new board members are seated and the Executive Committee (President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Clerk) are chosen.
Board Elections FAQ
How does the election take place?
The Kitsap Community Food Co-op now uses a majority vote ballot.
Here is the process:
- Member-owners may submit their ballot online or by mail. They will vote for the number of candidates equal to the number of vacant board positions.
- The elections committee will tally the ballots.
- At the Annual Meeting of Members, newly elected board members will be announced based on a majority of submitted ballots.
Who is eligible to run for election to the board?
Any member-owner in good standing is eligible.
Please contact us if you have questions about what a board member does, the elections process, or submitting your statement. Thanks for running for a board position with the Kitsap Community Food Co-op!
Board Candidate Application Form – Apply Now!
Meet the Candidates – All Member/Owners should plan to attend.
Meet our Board of Directors Candidates – Available August 22, 2016